Thursday, April 16, 2009

Ellen Lives in Her Own World

I'm a regular viewer of the "Ellen" show. In fact, I tape it every day and watch it when I get home. But something Ellen said yesterday on tax day (April 15) really bothered me.

Ellen DeGeneres and her longtime partner, the actress Portia de Rossi got married in California last year during that brief few months when same-sex marriages were allowed by the courts. Since her wedding, Prop. 8 has placed her marriage and thousands like hers in question as well as banning other gay couples from seeking marriages in the state.

But on her show, Ellen always acts as if she's a happily married couple. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she's happy in her relationship with de Rossi. What I don't get is how she can pretend that her marriage isn't under attack?

For example, guests arrive and they always congratulate her on her wedding. That's nice of them, but it would be more honest if Ellen would correct them and say that she would be happier if her marriage wasn't revoked.

Then yesterday, on April 15, she joked about how she filed for the marriage exemption on her taxes. She wanted to show how she's like any other married couple now. But I seriously doubt that she filed for a marriage exemption, especially on her federal returns, because her marriage is not recognized by the tax collectors.

So either Ellen needs to be more honest with her viewers so they can recognize the second-class citizenship she lives under or she has a really bad accountant.

No comments: